Sunday, August 12, 2012

Paper hammer questions


I've had a few questions asking for guidance on working with the templates and putting them on cardstock. So I've included a step by step explanation of preparing the templates as I've been doing it.
Here is a list of supplies you will need:

1) the Template.
2) A pair of scissors
3) a supply of cardboard (cereal boxes the like work well for this)
4) a supply of white glue
5) an exacto blade or box cutter.
6) A series of wax paper sheets
7) one or two big and heavy books.
8) someplace that is flat, and out of the way.
9) Some sort of flat roller. I used a length of electrical conducting.
10) a good place to cut on like a cutting mat or cutting board.
11) a small sponge or similar item.

Got everything? Good. So, we want to glue the template down to the cardboard. Simple right? Well, no. There are a couple challenges we have to contend with. First, the template I'm using was made on an A4 sized sheet which is sized as 8.25" x 11". Now I have yet to find any cereal boxes that are 8.25" by 11". So I can't just attach the templates to the cardboard. So, you will need to cut the pieces of the template off the page so you can arrange the parts on the cardboard.  

So, here is what we do. First we take the cardboard boxes and flatten then. No I don't mean stand on the box. I mean separate the seam so the box will come unfolded. If you look at a cereal box you will find 2 places where the cardboard is glued together, assuming it's an empty cereal box of course. First is along the long side. Second is along the bottom. You just need to cut both of those places to separate the seams. Once you do that you will be able to unfold the cereal box and get 4 plains of cardboard, 2 large, and 2 narrow strips plus the flaps that form the top and bottom of the cereal box.

Once you have the cereal box flattened, you can go back to the template. Now how has I mentioned the template I'm using is based on a printable size somewhat larger than the largest panel in the cereal box. So what do I need to do? Well I have to cut up the template. Basically starting with the largest part on the template I cut out each piece of the template so that I have a pile of parts. I can then rearrange the parts to make maximum use of the space available on the cardboard. 

So, now that I have the parts cut out, and have figured out how to position them on the cardboard I am ready to put down a layer of glue. I dribble it around the area inside of the cardboard and then use the sponge to smooth it out into a thin layer. Then I place the parts onto the glue. Now because of the properties of glue drying come into effect, the parts will have a tendency to curl and bubble up. This is where I use the length of electrical conduit as a roller and flatten out the template parts. I will get glue on the roller but that's of little concern. 

With the parts put down, I now put the piece of cardboard on a shelf and place a layer of wax paper over top of it and then put a sufficient  weight on top to keep it pressed in place. This is where that big heavy book comes in. I use the 2006 Games Workshop Catalogue for this.  Great now that the parts are under pressure, I leave it for an absolute minimum of 12 hours and more often 1-2 days to allow the glue time to dry.

0 comments:

Post a Comment