Monday, March 02, 2015

Mounted Chaos Lord of Khorne

It's hard to argue with the effectiveness of a Chaos Lord with mark of Khorne mounted on a juggernaut with the Axe of blind fury, so I've added one such lord to my Chaos Forces. And here he is:



No, that isn't actually mine. That is the normal Khorne Lord on Juggernaught model from the Fantasy Battle range and while I do like the model, I've seen that exact same model used for like 90 Chaos Lords with mark of Khorne on juggernaut. And has long time readers of my blog will be well aware of, I like to be different. So what did I do for my Khorne Lord on Juggernaut? Well that's a simple answer: I converted on!

Well to be more precise I am still converting one. There are some things I'm waiting on to finish the model itself, so what I'm about to show should be considered a work in progress.
Converted Chaos Lord with Mark of KHorne mounted on a Juggernaut with the axe of blind fury built from a set of Mark II Iron armor from Forge world and the World Eater upgrade kit.


The juggernaut is still the fantasy model but I wanted to build the Lord himself so that he was wearing the Mark II Crusade Armor. I've been building several models with the Crusade armor and I've fallen in love with it. It's so brutal and UN-elligent, it's like the result of a back seat drunken grope feast between a suit of knight armor and an Abrams tank. It's sexy because of how not-sexy it is. It's effectiveness in its brutality. No ornamentation. No frills. No extras. Just raw simplicity. It's the AK-47 of power armors.

So I build the Juggernaut pretty much straight out of the kit, only use a bit of gap filler to fill in a couple casting bubbles. I used a long length of brass rod running up from the middle of the juggernaut body and up through the saddle mount.In order to use the Mark II armor on the juggernaut required some rather extensive cutting as I needed to separate the legs from the crotch. I used more brass rod to affix the legs to the crotch. This allowed me to position the parts while still keeping them all connected.
Converted Chaos Lord with Mark of Khorne mounted on a Juggernaut with the axe of blind fury built from a set of Mark II Iron armor from Forge world and the World Eater upgrade kit.
Once I had the legs properly positioned just a drop of super glue was needed to secure the legs in place. Once that was accomplished, I needed to add some green stuff to fill the space and then sculpt in some soft armor ribbing. I wasn't too concerned with being particularly neat at this stage as I'm going to be sculpting chain mail over top of these joints later on.

The main weapon for the Lord was something of a different affair then the body was. The Axe is a conversion built from the Sorcerers Staff from the Chaos Lord set, a wing from the Chaos Raptors set and one of the chain swords from that same set. I used a cybernetic arm from the Forge World character upgrade set.
Converted Chaos Lord with Mark of Khorne mounted on a Juggernaut with the axe of blind fury built from a set of Mark II Iron armor from Forge world and the World Eater upgrade kit.
I haven't decided if I'll fill in the little space in the blade. It helps to break the 'space marine-esqu' vibe of the rest of the weapon and helps to carry it being made by something other then a space marine.

I still have some work yet to do on the model. I need to build the reins of the saddle and stir ups for the boots of the lord. Add a harness to the heads of the juggernaut... yeah. Still have some work. But time to progress and all that.

2 comments:

  1. I used the plastic Skull Crusher kit for my lord (I'm making the other two into armored daemon heralds) and was originally going to heavily convert it, but I loved the Armour so much I only did an arm swap and added a backpack:
    http://imgur.com/8cDfXt6

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a gorgeous axe and I really think I'm going to have to steal that design idea from you...

    ReplyDelete